Having successfully delivered the phylactery BARON VOTH to the Brotherhood of Superfriends, the party watched as a ritual was performed to restore the lich so he could be questioned. But something went wrong in the ritual and Baron Voth was brought back at nearly full power. Fortunately, a new ally, ASH PROSPERGS arrived in the nick of time to snatch the Baron’s crown from his clutches, forcing the evil Voth to submit to their questions.
Solarius had to threaten to destroy the Lich’s phylactery to get any useful information out of him, but he eventually revealed the following information:
- Solarius’s cane was stolen from Akrokrag, and has the ability to remember Akrokrag’s location if a ritual is performed using the stamina of a rare flower—THE EYE OF MAGLUBIYET—that grows only in a carefully curated living dungeon located somewhere in the Red Wastes.
- Akrokrag holds the spoils of the great war between the Orcs and Dwarves. The Queen of Cogs is said to have sealed the vault to hide some dark secret about how the war was won
- Treasures inside the vault include
- The Mirror of the Great Gold Wyrm: A scale from the back of the Great Gold Wyrm that is so smooth it can be used as a looking glass. It is believed that a ritual can be performed with this item that will siphon power from the Great Gold Wyrm and grant it to another.
- The Face of Blas: A carved wooden mask that the wearer can use to strike fear into his enemies.
- The Cask of Zalkkoth: A vessel containing the remains of Zalkkoth, a great Orkish profit. Little is known about this item, but it is said to be able to lay waste to the armies of ones enemy.
- Finding the Akrokrag is one thing, but unsealing it is another. The Dwarf Queen asked for the help of one of the other Icons to ensure that no one could ever enter the vault.
The adventurers set out to find the living dungeon by first locating the village of goblins known for harvesting the Eye of Maglubiyet. On their way through the red wastes, they encountered a RAVENOUS BUMOORAH; a sand worm that burrows through the earth in response to vibration and sound. They distracted the creature well-enough to slip by, eventually finding a goblin village built upon stilts. Realizing that this might be the village they were looking for, Arelon suggested they camp in a well hidden spot, watching the goblins in hopes they might lead the party to the living dungeon. The move paid off. Late at night, the party saw a group of large goblins slide down to earth and move stealthily across the barren wastes. The party followed even more stealthily, to avoid the goblins notice.
Eventually the entrance to the living dungeon was found, and the party followed the goblins inside. They led the party quite a way into the dungeon, but eventually stopped and mysteriously reversed direction. Realizing they would be discovered, Solarius launched a surprise attack, throwing lightning at the goblin harvesters. The goblins he struck fell to the ground, writing in agony, while the ones left standing frantically signaled to the party to be silent!
ALAS! It was too late! The ravenous bumoorah had detected the vibrations of the altercation, and burst through the wall of the dungeon, attacking Solarius and wounding him grievously, removing him from battle. Those who remained standing joined forces to attack the invading land shark, and were able to defeat the beast quickly.
With the bumoorah slain, the goblins turned their weapons on Ash and Arelon, not sure if they could call these stalkers friend or foe…